Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Generation of Worshippers

Where have I been allocated for Sisterhood (Hillsong Women's Ministry) this semester? Choir, hosting, catering, pamper... etc. "Juliana, you have been allocated to... Kids Ministry!"... "Uhm... excuse me? Are you reading that name right? Me and Kids do not go together! Lady, you don't understand, the kids are taller than me! I CANNOT DO KIDS!" All of these thoughts ran through my head as I wanted to cross out my name out of that list she held in her hands; It was like nails on a chalk board to my ears.

At first I could not understand why God had placed me in a place where I did not want to be. Why had he been challenging me so much? I know I prayed for him to use me, but to use me where I wanted to be. As soon as my friend saw that we had been allocated together, she ran up to me and said, "Let's ask if we can be in the Kids Praise Team!" Surely afterwards, I was allocated in the Kids Praise Team. I was informed that I would be leading worship from Babies to 5 year olds, I was given songs, moves and information about how the services were to be run... I was ready for anything, but not for what was about to happen in my life; I was not ready for the revelation that God was going to give me today.

Our song list was: Good Morning Song, Take It All, How Great is Our God (Surely they will not sing this song with us) and the Good Bye Song. As we started the worship service the kids were so excited to worship with us, they moved, they danced, they sang... and then it came, How Great is Our God, and I could not believe my eyes! The kids were lifting their
hands, closing their eyes and singing their little, innocent hearts out. Kids 5 years and younger praising God for His amazing grace to us! And then it hit me, the lesson I was not ready to hear; this is how we build a generation of worshippers! It has to start from our kids. If the church can focus on building a generation of kids that worship God, then our teens, young adults, adults and finally our leaders will know how to worship. This is how we can teach our church to worship God, create generations of people who will worship God.

What an amazing lesson!

"Train a child in the way he should go, and when he is old he will not turn from it." Proverbs 22:6

No comments: